Please make sure you complete your assignments in this workbook on time, before your next class, so that you do not fall behind.
Upcoming assignments will automatically unlock for you as we work our way through the course.
This course is designed to give students a stronger foundation in drawing plus the full range of digital art instruction from the CGI Digital Painting course which will provide the training needed to work at a professional level. In the first 4 classes (2 months) of this course, students will focus on traditional Bargue drawing methods, using charcoal pencils. In the following 4 classes (2 months) we move Bargue drawing onto a digital platform. As we enter month 5, we’ll dive into the full CGI Digital Painting curriculum for the remainder of the course. Within these next 30 classes, students will learn software basics, deconstruction, value studies, lighting and shading, color theory, layers, storyboarding, anatomy, gesture drawing, perspective, and much more. Our students will also learn the professional side of dealing with clients, marketing, copyright law, and how to protect their work and reputation. Students will leave the New World School of Art with their very own portfolio which they will be proud the show to clients and Bethel.
Required Bargue Tools:
- Charcoal Pencils (not graphite pencils)
- 1- 2H hard charcoal pencil
- 1- 2B medium charcoal pencil
- Kneadable Eraser
- Recommended Paper: Strathmore 400 series 18 x 24 inches Drawing Pad, white
- Alternative: Good quality thicker white paper, not printer paper or kraft paper, the texture must not be too smooth or too rough.
- Wooden skewer or similar (for measuring)
You may use additional charcoal drawing tools not mentioned here, these are just the minimum needed.
- PC or Mac
- Drawing tablet (Huion or Wacom brand, built-in screen is recommended)
- Clip Studio Paint or Photoshop
- Apple Pencil
- Procreate App
You must already have experience using, and be comfortable with your digital tools and digital drawing program of choice by the time we reach class #5. This is not a software/technology course. We want to make sure you’re ready for class!